XP Home Product Key Different ?

Eargasm 10:33 04 Jul 2010

Hi All
I have just done a fresh install of XP Home on a friends Toshiba Equium A110 Laptop as it was full of malware and was only crawling along. I used my XP Home disk, but his code from the bottom of the laptop .
It has all gone OK activated and validated no problem, however prior to the fresh install i ran SIW to check for Product keys of installed software and noticed that the 25 digit Key for XP was different from the code on the sticker.
I just wondered if anyone knew why the code should be different from the sticker ?

sharpamat 10:44 04 Jul 2010

One ( yours friends Product Key ) is possabily an OEM that was preinstalled on his Laptop.Which may have been altered over the years to give a different code.

Your Home XP Disk may or may not be an OEM.

All you can do is wait and see how it goes, again it may be ok or you may well find at some stage a warning from Microsoft that your software is not a genuine.

Eric10 10:46 04 Jul 2010

The key found by SIW will be the original manufacturers bulk install key and probably would not work with a clean installation of XP.

Eargasm 11:03 04 Jul 2010

Thanks, I have just had a quick Google and it would seem it is as Eric 10 says a bulk install.
All seems fine anyway, i have just installed MSE Antivirus and it does a validation check prior to installing.

woodchip 12:14 04 Jul 2010

I have two Medions a Desktop and Laptop plus key on back of both, as above the Factory Key is different to the one you use if doing a Full Clean Install rather than using a restore CD. I Have both Full OS Disc and Restore Discs with my Medions

Eargasm 12:23 04 Jul 2010

Thanks for clearing that up woodchip, i did a fresh install rather than a restore to factory settings so it did not have all the bundled software on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?