xp home to pro upgrade problems

A Mutu 21:05 23 Mar 2004

Let me start by saying i know now that i am an idiot for not realising that a restore point would be deleted by an upgrade. however, i digress .... i now have 2 pop ups on my screen at regular intervals that i need to understand and then kill. the first is from SPRINGFLD_ADV_DAEMON : wkscal.exe - entry point not found

"the procedure entry point GetUIMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL"

and i get

ignore call

"you have just ignored a call from :
undisclosed party"

and aol keeps logging on, on its own ......

help me, i have technofear!

fuzzyone 21:11 23 Mar 2004

A Mutu,

click here

looks like the very same problem.

BIG ben strikes 10 21:16 23 Mar 2004

have you got your original XP HE cd or was it put on the HDD by the factory? if you have the cd you could re-format?.and try and upgrade over again.hope this helps atall?

A Mutu 21:33 23 Mar 2004

thanks fuzzyone, i'll check that out.

big ben, unfortunately i have an advent and the HE was pre installed. if i did get a HE disk could i "down grade", PLUS, are points 2 and 3 of my original text all related to this?

BIG ben strikes 10 21:58 23 Mar 2004

START,RUN,msdart.dll and this is what info came up..This file is part of an application or Microsoft Windows. This file will be used by the application or Microsoft Windows. you will probly have to reinstall.if you have a CD-R drive then you could back up your files using that.it might be worth just buying a full version-windows xp-pro,or you could buy the windows XP HE CD for £80(roughly).hope this helps.speak tomorow eh?.im off to bed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?