XP Home and Primefilm 1800u Scanner

PA28 14:15 10 Nov 2003

Have just installed XP clean and all devices working fine - except one Primefilm 1800u 35mm tranparency/neg scanner. The drivers supplied (98/95) not surprisingly wouldn't work, so I downloaded 10mb worth of new drivers from the manufacturer's site (Scanace). After removal of old drivers and software (Control Panel>Add/Remove and Device Manager), the new drivers refuse to install because XP already has old drivers in memory for this device (Code 38). Have tried various permutations in the add/remove line (connecting disconnecting the scanner along the way, rebooting like crazy in between) but made no progress. I am wondering (as I have two scanners connected, this and a flatbed) whether the wrong device is being read - or does XP retain any drivers it gets "just in case" and try to get them out of the cupboard when you don't want it to?

I have also downloaded a new driver from the retailer's website (Jessops) but this is multilingual and appears to work no better (and in Spanish in my case, not a lot of help!). Jessops, bless their hearts, have responded to my email to them by arranging to send a complete new XP installation disk for this scanner, which will hopefully do the trick.

Anyone else had this problem of Code 38 old drivers, and - if so - what's the best way around it? Thanks. J

PA28 18:42 10 Nov 2003

I've obviously put too cryptic a header on this one! Anyone, please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?