XP home or XP pro?

Bjthene 16:49 22 Apr 2003

Short and sweet is this, which is the better option, Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro? I use my computer for office work aswell as the occasional games. My kids use it for educational work as well as games and ther maybe a possibility of networking a laptop (poss via a wireless network) in the very near future.
This will be a clean install as I would rather not use an upgrade.

Unless you have a specific reason for not wanting an upgrade, I may have a very good reason for you having one - Price!!

The difference between Home and Pro is not readily apparant to the average home user - most of the extra features are specifically for networking, but not a small home network as such. I have both (One on a laptop and pro on the main desktop) and rarely if ever have I noticed a difference.

However, your kids are at school or college/University so if i were to tell you that XP Professional is available to Students, Teachers and Parents at less than £50 would that change your mind?

You can still do a clean installation (in fact it is preferable) and you need either Windows 98 or ME on Disk to "Prove" you are entitled to the upgrade. During the installation you are asked to put the 98 disk in the CD drive, XP looks at it, says "OK, thats a Windows product" and you take it out again - it needs no files whatsoever from the 98 disk. in other words, your "Clean installation" will not be affected by having to install over the top of 98 - Trust me, i have done it many times!

The price? £46.99 INCLUDING VAT

click here

Djohn 17:20 22 Apr 2003

is absolutely correct, and that is the way I purchased my copy of XP Pro. from the same retailer as well, choose standard delivery, (Cheaper), and it will be with you in two days.

I formated my 98se drive, placed the XP CD in and did a clean install, after a few moments, it asked for my qualifying CD, (98se), popped it in and out again, and carried on with a sweet and fast install. J.

MartinT-B 17:28 22 Apr 2003

I chose Pro for several reasons.

Most importantly, I am not intending to change it for a number of years. I had 98SE for 4 years and see no reason to change XP when the next version comes out.

In the light of above I wanted the maximum possible and in some respects Home doesn't quite cut it for me.

There is no gpedit.msc with Home. This allows you to chaneg settings in Pro without going into the registry.

There is no Remote Desktop with Home. This means that you can't connect to you PC whilst you are away. Most people won't need this now but who knows what will happen in 18 months? My PC is a complete home entertainment system now (with freeview coming via the Arial) I can contact my PC and tell it to record to the Hard Drive if I want to.

Pro is currently available for less than £100 + VAT and now comes with Service Pack 1 and Windows Media Player 9 already bundled, saving you time on downloads.

You may not want to tweak your PC now, but it's likely that you will once you are familiar with it. Why limit what you can do?

Bjthene 17:36 22 Apr 2003

What a price, the info is most appreciated and the saving is the best I've seen. That has made my mind up for me, Cheers

STEVE71163 18:16 22 Apr 2003

I have got to ask! Can you upgrade with this package from xp home?

Djohn 18:22 22 Apr 2003

Yes. :o)

STEVE71163 18:56 22 Apr 2003

Thanks Djohn. I think i will install it on my second hdd. I can then keep my personel files etc on xp home and then my business on xp pro. :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone