XP Home or Professional

geoff47 00:18 14 Feb 2008

I have been having trouble with a PC preloaded with XP Home, with no disk.

I then tried to intall XP Professional, used on another PC in my possession. It loaded OK but problems started with a slow down.

I downloaded and wiped the disk with Dban.And installed Win 98se,with the intention of upgrading to XP Home from a borrowed disk ( I thought the HD was knackered, so loaded win98 to test it)
Remembering the PC had XP Home on it originally,I have been seeking another disk to use, but so far no joy.
I decided to install XP Professional again, but this time it failed due to insufficient disk space.

I will eventually find the XP Home disk to reinstall, but what is the difference between Home And Professional that causes one to be OK and the other to need so much more disk space ?

brundle 02:44 14 Feb 2008

No differences that require significantly more disk-space, the minimum requirements for Home and Pro are the same (1.5gb HD space). It still sounds as though the drive has problems, if you didn't wipe or format the disk prior to each install attempt.

geoff47 18:05 14 Feb 2008

Is there any utility to verify the integrity of the Hard disk ?
I did wipe the disk before the win98 install but then tried an upgrade.
I recall wording along the lines that either there is not enough space on my drive or that something is blocking or stopping the install, and to check this out.
Obviously my wording.

recap 18:30 14 Feb 2008

The differences between Home and Pro is that Home cannot join a domain, and there is a little more security on Pro.

MAT ALAN 18:33 14 Feb 2008

Domain..

there are alternatives click here

recap 12:37 15 Feb 2008

Connecting XP Home in that way does not allow for the credentials of the machine to be stored on the DC click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?