xp home or professional

ollie < one> 22:19 16 Jul 2004

hi all
some advice needed,I am thinking of upgrading from 98se to xp but which do i choose home or professional whats the difference ?? is it worth the extra cost ?? i have a amd 2100xp with 512mb ram 40gb hdd radeon 9600xt 256mb agp mostly surf the net and play some games is it worth upgrading to 64bit or wait untill the xp replacement arrives (longhorn I think) then upgrade or just take the plunge now.Is there any info of when the xp replacement will arrive
thanks

fuzzyone 22:31 16 Jul 2004

ollie < one>,

you might have a while to wait for Longhorn.

Professional is more geared towards business users and has very little or no improvement over XP home.

You would have no problems running this Os well, on the system you have just now, other than if you like heavy gaming.

GaT7 22:35 16 Jul 2004

For differences between WinXP Home/Pro - click here & click here.

Podsville 22:40 16 Jul 2004

Xp pro doesnt need activation. That puts some people off for XP Home. I have 2 puters, one with Home and the other Pro. Not much difference at all. Both very sound os.
Cheers P

sidecar sid 23:10 16 Jul 2004

XP pro doesen't need activation?
Iv'e yet to install a legitimate copty that didn't.

hillybilly 23:17 16 Jul 2004

I have copies of XP pro and Office pro which I get sent to me direct from Microsoft every year, they are marked not for resale or OEM but I still have activate them! I'm allowed to use each key number twice thats two installs per disc, but they still need activation.

pc moron 23:35 16 Jul 2004

As far as I know the corporate version of XP Pro doesn't need activation.

It's like previous versions of Windows, it has a Product Key but you don't need to "activate" it.

hillybilly 23:39 16 Jul 2004

Yes and if you are a private individual, what are you doing with a corporate copy? Hence the use of "legitimate copy"

pc moron 23:46 16 Jul 2004

I didn't say I have a corporate copy.

My version of Windows is perfectly legitimate and I'll thank you not to imply otherwise.

hillybilly 23:54 16 Jul 2004

I'm very sorry, I did not mean to imply that at all, I really do appolgise!

What I was trying to say is just that this thread is started by somebody who is talking about buying XP, well surely you agree with me he would not be out to buy a Corporate copy? once again no offence was meant, sorry.

pc moron 00:10 17 Jul 2004

No problem hillybilly.

Podsville's post caught my eye so I thought a post about the Corporate version was in order.

As far as ollie < one>'s original question goes:

XP Pro if you want all the bells and whistles- more than the average home user is likely to need.

XP Home for the average home user is fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017