XP HOME NO DISC HOW TO REINSTALL

kdt 17:56 03 Sep 2007

can anyone advise what to do...son in law pc needs reinstall but can't find xp disc.told daughter use belarc to get key & use her laptop disc & use the belarc key...is that legal? they just moved to sky. router & daughter laptop ok but pc needs phone socket in the room so without internet presently.any help welcomed. thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 03 Sep 2007

legal yes if you use the key for the machine.

make sure is same kind of CD eg HOME or PRO.

Totally-braindead 18:14 03 Sep 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/\s right but as he points out it has to be the same edition of XP ie Home or Pro.

kdt 18:22 03 Sep 2007

thanks FB/TB daughter also xp home so idea seems legal I presume since pc purchased few years now don't know whether the supplier will give another disc.thanks again. would welcome any other pointers.

Totally-braindead 18:29 03 Sep 2007

All you really need is the windows code for the machine it is to installed on, a copy of in your case XP Home, the drivers for the motherboard from the motherboard manufacturer and the drivers for graphics, sound, modem and printer etc.

Depending on what is wrong with the PC you might get away with a repair and not have to reinstall anything. For that all you need is the windows disk.

kdt 22:37 03 Sep 2007

thanks TB keeping an eye on all comments that will help.

woodchip 23:24 03 Sep 2007

If it's the same disc, You would be better running Repair. That way you do not need the key

Strawballs 02:38 04 Sep 2007
  Simsy 05:08 04 Sep 2007

but I have a bit of a feeling that as well as being the same version, (Home or Pro), it also needs to be the same "sale" version, i.e. OEM or retail.

I repeat, I am open to correction, but I seem to recall seeing this advice in the past, so you might want to check.

Regards,

Simsy

irishrapter 06:16 04 Sep 2007

Just make sure that you don't have a hidden recovery partition. It maybe accessed at startup by hitting one of the function keys F9 or F10 etc. click here for more info.

woodchip 10:23 04 Sep 2007

oem make's no difference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone