xp home long time to shut down

johnnyrocker 14:55 16 Dec 2007

at lunch today my son mentioned that the longer his pc was on the longer it took to shutdown. ie after 5 or ten mins use can shutdown right away but as post says the longer left on the longer it takes to shut off, any ideas?

johnny.

woodchip 15:13 16 Dec 2007

Some things to look at click here

click here

skidzy 15:15 16 Dec 2007

I suppose this could depend on what apps he is loading while the pc is on Johnny.

Have you ran through MSCONFIG with him and reduce the startup programs ?

Has he ran any diagnostic tools on the drive itself ? maybe worth a shout first.

johnnyrocker 16:20 16 Dec 2007

he is (as far as i know) not into heavy pc use, i would think it is restricted to surfing etc, he is not techy enough to run diagnostics etc,he gave me the impression thatif he surfs for any great length of time the problem occurs then. thanks for your tips and will get round to yours after xmas woodchip

johnny

muddypaws 16:40 16 Dec 2007

johnnyrocker
skidzy
Can I just but in for a second?--- I have created the fast/ restart icons as per the link. Presumably in the fast shutdown mode everything is still saved as in a normal shutdown?

Clapton is God 16:54 16 Dec 2007

This may cure it. It will take about 8-10 seconds for Windows to close after the fix:

1- Start/Run and type Regedit
2- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENT CONTROL SET/CONTROL
3- Click on “Control”
4- Select “Wait to kill service timeout”
5- Right click and select “Modify”
6- Set to a lower value than 2000
7- A setting of 200 will be sufficient

Normal setting is 2000 but can safely be reduced to 200 for a quick shutdown. Sometimes in PCs, including my own, an extra nought is added on to make it 20000. Not sure why this happens but when it does it leads to a very long shutdown time.

johnnyrocker 18:42 16 Dec 2007

thanks for all i doubt i will get round to it before christmas to post an answer

johnny

bluto1 18:53 16 Dec 2007

Bookmarked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017