XP Home Full Edition or OEM

Duncanf 10:48 28 Mar 2006

I’m a retired person who enjoys working with my computer and have very much appreciated the Forum’s help on occasions. I’ve just got a new system without an OS and was interested in your comments on Forum about OEM Win XP. This may seem antiquated but I normally install my original ‘Windows Me’ disk (bought with product key) and then my ‘Upgrade to XP Home’ disk (also bought with product key) and I’ve done that on my last 2 systems. What are the pros and cons of Windows XP Home Full edition disks and are OEM disks not available to buy? I wouldn’t want to buy an XP Home disk to find that I couldn’t use it on any other system in the future as I’ve heard that some disks will only work on one system. Thanks for your help.

Strawballs 10:57 28 Mar 2006

OEM versions are only supposed to be used on one system and not transferable, you wil also get no support from microsoft if you have any problems because they were originally for the big manufacturers who are supposed to supply support. You will be able to update through microsoft.

Totally-braindead 11:32 28 Mar 2006

Strawballs has summed it up nicely I think. Both are full products and you can download any updates etc. Microsoft will not provide support for OEM versions but this I feel is not that important as theres plenty of other places to get help. Here for instance. And OEM versions are not transferrable, they must stay on the PC they are put on. If you buy another system you would need to buy another copy.

XP OEM are still widely available click here and click here

Since you already have the full version there is no real point in buying one.

Duncanf 11:41 28 Mar 2006

Thanks Strawballs and Totally-braindead for your clear answers.

961 11:42 28 Mar 2006

If you have the xp upgrade disk + Me disk AND your copy of xp has been uninstalled from your old computer then you need nothing more. Just install as you did before

If your copy of xp is still in use on a previous machine then you need to buy a new copy of xp because ALL xp disk licences are valid for use on one machine at a time only

Additionally oem copies are valid for use only on the machine they are first installed on. They cannot be transferred to a new machine

You can quite legally buy an oem copy of windows to install on your new machine. Since it will cost much less than a full retail version there is little point in buying a full retail copy. The software is just the same, the only real difference being that full retail will give you a limited amount of support with a microsoft advisor in case of need. This is usually timed at 90 days from the first time you call them. All web support is available to legit owners of oem or retail versions

Duncanf 11:49 28 Mar 2006

Thanks 961....excellent information.

DieSse 12:36 28 Mar 2006

To use the Upgrade WinXP CD, you don't need to install an earlier version first - just run the install straight from the XP CD and at some time early on it will ask you to insert the earlier version CD, just to check you have it (it installs nothing from it). Then afetr the check it will prompt you to put the XP CD back in, and will carry on.

This will result in a *cleaner* XP installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?