XP Home and a few niggly problems

StellaArtois63 13:32 01 Dec 2003

I have recently purchased a new computor with XP home and I have a couple of problems which niggle me, the first one being MSN messenger starts up when the pc starts up and I have changed the option not to on the preferences and also on the msconfig start up page but alas it continues to. Another problem is I have shared accounts set up and when I used winmx on my log on its perfect but my son cant use it on his, when I play a game on mine again its ok but it wont run properly on his log on. The other problem is on my list of add or remove programs there is a huge blank space between Microsoft Auto route express and Microsoft money any ideas to these problems will be greatly appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 13:41 01 Dec 2003

messenger - there is an option somewhere in Outlook Express to log on to Messenger when starting OE - check that it is unticked.

The other two I can't help with (I have given up on XP...).

StellaArtois63 14:58 01 Dec 2003

What a Divvy, I have solved the one about WINMX that was due to the internet security but as yet have been unable to sort the others out.

Diodorus Siculus 16:17 01 Dec 2003

Did you look at the options in OE for logging on to messanger when you start OE?

StellaArtois63 01:41 02 Dec 2003

I did have a quick look but could not find the option.As I had to go to work I will have a look in the morning when I have some more time to look at it.Thank you

temp003 04:22 02 Dec 2003

In OE, click Tools > Windows Messenger > Options > Preferences. General > untick "Run this program when windows starts" and untick "Allow this program to run in the background". Click OK.

Diodorus Siculus 08:25 02 Dec 2003

In Outlook Express go to tools->options

Then uncheck "Automatically log on to MSN Messenger Service"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?