XP Home Fax facility

skylark101 21:22 11 Apr 2007

Would I be right in thinking that XP Home has no Fax facility. And also, what are the advantages of faxing over e-mail?

VoG II 21:33 11 Apr 2007

Type Fax into the search box in Help and Support.

Woolwell 21:42 11 Apr 2007

There is one big advantage that fax has in that you can send a copy of a document with a signature (hand written). However e-mail is used for just about everything now.

Stuartli 21:51 11 Apr 2007

Have you checked from Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Components that Faxing Services has been ticked?

If so, double click the Set Up Faxing option in the Printer and Faxes folder to access the Fax Console.

Stuartli 21:52 11 Apr 2007

You have to have a dialup fax/data modem installed to be able to access the Fax Console - you can't use broadband.

skylark101 21:53 11 Apr 2007

Thanks VoG, done that, now i am being asked to insert the XP home disk to load the necessary files, the problem is I am running a pre-installed version of XP home and don't have a disk. Do you think I could download the files from the M/soft Web site?

skylark101 22:05 11 Apr 2007

Thanks Stuartli, I have just checked, the only dial-up modem I have installed is voice/data so I suppose for me fax is over!

Stuartli 22:51 11 Apr 2007

You should still be able to install the Fax Console from Add/Remove Components by browsing/accessing the i386 folder for i386\win9xmig\fax. See:

click here

for advice.

As for a fax modem, they are as cheap as chips these days - a tenner will probably be too much...:-)

Stuartli 22:59 11 Apr 2007

Also:

click here

woodchip 23:09 11 Apr 2007

Voice/Data should work, if you have the right software. Like Supervoice

click here

Stuartli 23:14 11 Apr 2007

I used to have a Diamond SupraExpress 56i Voice Pro hardware modem (see: click here)

that I regularly used for sending and receiving faxex.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?