XP Home and Defrag

Coffee Adict 16:17 06 Dec 2007

More of a query than a problem, my laptop is just about a year old with a 40g hd, when I went to do a defrag it told me it was unnecessary, there's about 16g free on the drive, do I go ahead anyway or assume XP knows how to look after itself. Everything works fine, but it has been a little cranky just lately.

skidzy 16:19 06 Dec 2007

Just go ahead anyway,its absolutely fine.

Totally-braindead 16:21 06 Dec 2007

Its up to you, personally I defrag when it suits me just not when windows tells me I need to.

All that happens is if the drive is not badly fragmented it will take less time, it will still clear things up a bit.

When you say its been a bit cranky lately what do you mean? It could be time to do a bit of cleaning up the hard drive. I find deleting old programs then running ccleaner and then doing a defrag makes quite a difference sometimes.

SB23 16:25 06 Dec 2007

I normally ignore the "no need to defrag", and I've just started using the free Auslogics defrag utility, which I must say does a very good job. I also always gain a percentage back no matter what windows says.

click here

I'm also using their reg defrag, thats good too!

Steve

Coffee Adict 17:42 06 Dec 2007

Took your advice and downloaded prog. My goodness me that was fast, not like the old W98 plodder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?