XP Home - Default User Folder deleted

Fastflys 17:10 13 Aug 2007

Hi all

My son has just informed me that he has deleted the Default User Folder [and sub-folders]in Documents & Settings and cleared the Recycle Bin

What is the Default User Folder used for and will it cause any problems now that it has been deleted?

The last time I used the XP recovery disk supplied with his computer and clicked on the repair option it proceeded to reinstall the whole OS programme instead. I then had to reinstall everything else so I'm not keen to go done that route again.

Help!

Thalmus 17:20 13 Aug 2007

The default user profile is used when a new account is set up, so as long as you don;t need to set up any more users then it should be fine.

Although I'm not sure but i think windows would recreate the folder if it detects its missing on start up. If not you could try running the system file checker, click start > run and type "sfc /scannow"

Technotiger 17:26 13 Aug 2007

Looks as if this is what you need to do ...

click here

Fastflys 12:29 14 Aug 2007

My son's computer OS is Win XP Home.
My laptop's OS is Win XP Pro.

Question:

Can I copy the Default User folder from my computer and paste it in Documents & Settings in my Son's computer, replacing the Default User Folder that he deleted or is it not that simple?

FF

Technotiger 13:03 14 Aug 2007

Not that simple, no two pc's are exactly the same.

Best I think, to print the details from my above link and then follow the instructions there.

Fastflys 14:25 14 Aug 2007

OK and thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone