XP home - blackout then re-boot when typing e-mail

naviator 14:46 17 May 2008

Whilst typing an e-mail or typing here on this site an error message appears requesting an error report after which a re-boot takes place, occasionally followed by yet another as soon as the desktop is on screen.
At other times the screen blanks out - no blue screen or any other warning - and then the machine re-boots.
XP has recently been re-installed from scratch and Service Pack 3 downloaded. No problems for a few days and performance vastly improved.
Full security present including AVG which I have used without problem for 3-4 years and of course inbuilt MS system firewall. RegCure and CCleaner are also in use. On scanning no virus or malware detected.
Any ideas anyone?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:19 17 May 2008

Reboots can be caused by a number of reasons viruses are one,
overheating cpu
drive problems
corrupted windows files
faulty memory.
faulty PSU voltages
are some more.

Details of error messages may help to pin it down.

Auto-reboot disable:
When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, often it will restart too fast for you to see the error message.
To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

naviator 16:03 17 May 2008

Thank you Fruit Bat /\0/\. Have disabled auto-restart as you suggest so should see the message if there is one next time. I have had blue screens before with message clearly visible and that was some time before I re-installed XP. This was definitely from white to black screen with no hint of blue whatever. Will let you know what happens in due course. In the past MS has said they do not know what the cause was but to keep on sending error reports as they are requested. One gets a little tired!

naviator 16:33 17 May 2008

I should have mentioned that overheating is not taking place - very little accumulated dust present; full virus scans have been carried out with all systems checked up to date beforehand and nothing nasty found; computer was checked by maker and everything found to be serviceable; Processor Authentic AMD ~1297 Mhz; XP Home disc included Service Pack 2 which of course has now been updated automatically by MS to Pack 3; hard drive capacity ~270 GB - including ~230 GB external drive; Total physical memory 512 MB.
Everything functions perfectly now apart from this one irritating snag.

naviator 17:55 17 May 2008

No sooner done than some minutes later, a blue stop error screen! Text the same as always "A problem has been detected...etc"

Tech Information:

xxx STOP: 0x00000050( 0xFF5AFDF0, 0x00000001, 0x804DE9A4,0x00000000

This is meaningless to me.

Looks as if I might have to do a complete re-install and see how it goes from there?

I have an Epson Stylus C60 printer and when installing it I get a message that its software is not MS approved and may therefore adversely affect the system. I have tried in the past to download a version which doesn't carry this tag but without success. Could it be this that is causing all the trouble? Strange if it is because everything has worked fine for the past three years.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:01 17 May 2008
  wis 20:56 17 May 2008

if you unistall xp3, do you still get same

naviator 17:32 09 Jun 2008

wis - yes it still happens even after a completely new installation has been made, and it has been made twice (once by the maker of this machine). I am at a complete loss and it also happens now without my typing anything.

BEN MARSHALL 21:13 09 Jun 2008

The error you are experiencing could be due to a recently updated driver. Try rolling back your drivers or un-installing your drivers for your main board ( bar LAN / wireless )and running temporarily without and see if the problem goes away, if so visit your motherboard or computer vendors website and download and install the latest drivers for your windows built and service pack.

The only other thing I would suggest is clicking start run and typing "eventvwr" and clicking on the system log and posting the errors that co-inside with the re-boot and what was happening directly before, and look for reassurances e.g. Service xyz failed to start, or Error Disk/C etc.

Thanks,

Ben.

BEN MARSHALL 21:20 09 Jun 2008

Try a windows Check Disk, this will check the Microsoft Windows NTFS Filing System for Errors and correct them.

Click Start > My Computer

Right Click on your system drive usually C:\

Click on properties and then click on the Tools tab

Click on "Check Now"

Select Checkboxes, Check Windows for errors and automatically fix.

Aslo check Scan and attempt to repair bad sectors.

You will probably be asked to schedule for next boot select "yes" now restart windows and wait. NB Might take a while to complete.

Final Resort!!

Create a backup image of your system and then once Windows XP SP3 and pref IE7 have been un-installed boot windows of your XP Home cd media and perform a windows repair, then reinstall drivers where unnecessary and updates. click here

naviator 00:02 10 Jun 2008

Ben Marshall - thank you for suggestions. Curious thing is that there was an absolute bare minimum of programmes on the system as XP installation had only just taken place. Apart from the motherboard disk, SP3, my modem, e-mail software, AVG, and one or two MS items there was nothing else. Except for SP3, all of these have been used for years without problem. Will let you know in due course what transpires. Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?