xp home

sopwith 20:02 19 Feb 2008

having new system built am going to use xp its an oem(real article)
my wife wants my current machine
am i be able to install my version on both machines

johndrew 20:13 19 Feb 2008

The XP Home OEM license is valid for one PC only. You will either need to get a version valid for more than one PC or a second OEM copy with its serial number.

Totally-braindead 20:17 19 Feb 2008

johndrew is correct you cannot install using the same XP serial number as the second PC will fail validation. You need another copy.
What has your existing PC got on it? Can you not just leave it as is?

DieSse 00:25 20 Feb 2008

There is no XP version that you can buy that's valid for more than one system.

Why not try something outrageous and put Ubuntu Linux on one of your systems. It's free!

Ubuntu version 8.04 is in it's early release form (final release will be April) click here - however it's already pretty stable and performing well.

You can try it - and most other "flavours" of Linux right from the CD without installing it. Quite popular on here is PCLinuxOS, which you can find at click here

You download from the net - burn to a CD (Nero can burn this type (iso) of CD - then boot up the system with the CD.

You'll be amazed how straightforward it is to use, and how much software already comes installed, and how easy it is to install compared to installing XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?