XP hardware Insert /Removal sound

p.r.b 11:09 26 Jan 2011

Recently I have started to hear these sounds for no apparent reason when I am using the internet and the cursor also changes to the egg timer shape.
It is as if someone is tring to connect to my computer, I know that I can turn the sound off via the control panel but I would like to get at the underlying cause if there is a problem. I ran AVG but it doesn't show anything up, I have used the reload disc to set everything back to the factory settings yet still have the problem, my O/S is X/P, does anyone have any ideas

Paul

gengiscant 11:21 26 Jan 2011

Can you describe the sounds?

p.r.b 11:44 26 Jan 2011

Gengis
The two sounds I keep getting are those I hear when I insert a USB stick.
To hear them proceed as follows, Control Panel, Sounds, select the Sounds Tab. In the program events box select any you wish ( I use asterisk ) then select Browse this wil give you a list of sounds, right click the XP hardware Insert sound then play, then likewise for XP hardware remove.
I suppose the only other thing it could be is a loose connetion somewhere probably the keyboard or mouse.
Paul

gengiscant 11:54 26 Jan 2011

I think you have possible answered your own question. Indeed a loose connection seems to be the likely culprit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?