XP hangs on install giving error code 7

bussman 22:19 08 Nov 2004

I have just built a Pentium 4 system using SDRAM. I transferred my HD running XP to the new system but it crashed when windows started to load. I then formatted the drive and tried to load XP from the CD but it gets to the third blue screen (loading windows executive) and comes up with the message "File\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded, error code is 7". The MS knowledgebase says this is caused by dodgy memory but I have tried several different mem modules to no effect. Sometimes the file mentioned in the error message is different ie.i386\1_intl.nls. The XP cd has loaded OK on previous systems.

Any help would be appreciated.

howard60 22:20 08 Nov 2004

I would try fdisk to uninstall the partitions and then reinstall and let xp format

AndySD 22:27 08 Nov 2004

Ok so I know its basic but make sure the cd is clean.

Rtus 22:32 08 Nov 2004

If I remember* correctly your best bet is to get the HD diagnostic disc & low levelformat the drive prior to setting up xp,or use drive image & remove the partition . & try installation From Cd drive then ..If you just pop an old xp set-up into a different machine it will not recognise the bios /hardware.as It logs the bios & hardware Id's into the setup of the original machine.*1 AEOE....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017