XP hangs up except in Safe Mode

Grumpy Grandad 11:41 19 Feb 2007

When I start up in Safe Mode I get through to desktop, but any normal attempt gives me a blank screen immediately after displaying the Windows XP logo. I have restored the system from the disc supplied and tried going through all sorts of system restore to no avail. I tried the debugging option in Safe Mode, and still a blank screen. When I try Safe Mode With Command Prompt I don't know what command I am supposed to give to the display of programs, and can't find any suggestions in Help. My troubles all seemed to start after a clean up with Ashampoo.

recap 11:42 19 Feb 2007

If you created a backup whilst using Ashampoo, try restoring the backup. It sounds like Ashampoo has edited your registry.

VoG II 11:51 19 Feb 2007

In Safe Mode With Command Prompt, at the > prompt enter

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and press Enter to launch System Restore. Restore back to before things went wrong.

Grumpy Grandad 08:22 20 Feb 2007

Thanks Both,but no luck yet. VoG, your suggestion just leads into a System Restore, which I've always been able to get in Safe Mode.The trouble is that I cannot restore to any earlier than the date when I reset the whole system with the system recovery disc. This of course cleaned out the whole system including the Ashampoo back up.

Grumpy Grandad 17:44 01 Mar 2007

As I could get no further help on this matter I took the manufacturers discs and restored the PC back to factory settings. It is now working so much better that I wish I had done this at the start and not bothered with software houses that can clean up your system. O.K. I've had to re-instal a few programs, but that's no hardship.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone