XP graphics problems

maxjoe 13:28 31 Jul 2008

Is there a way to force XP to boot up using the motherboard on board graphics chipset? I am able to boot up at the moment but just get a blank screen halfway through the XP boot up sequence.
My theory is that it cannot find the graphics card (as I was having trouble loading the graphics card driver before this happened) and now it cannot find the on board graphics chipset.
Any ideas? Thanks.

sinbads 13:40 31 Jul 2008

The onboard graphics is more than likely disabled in the bios, you would need to enter your bios and enable.

Seth Haniel 13:40 31 Jul 2008

hit DEL or whatever it says on start -
maybe a default graphics tab ?

woodchip 13:55 31 Jul 2008

Have you restored the Monitor Cable to the Onboard Graphics Socket?

maxjoe 14:08 31 Jul 2008

Thanks for your comments.
I think the settings are OK in the bios that is why I am thinking that it may be an XP issue. The computer boots up as normal, the XP screen and windows logo comes up and then the screen goes blank and the computer seems to carry on the boot up process with a blank screen. I can access the hard drive via the network but I have nothing on the screen.

Zeppelyn 14:22 31 Jul 2008

Try booting into safe mode and reinstall drivers there if its possible otherwise I suggest you try Last Known Good Configuration (both accessed by pressing F8 before windows starts loading)

maxjoe 14:33 31 Jul 2008

Unfortunately, I can't get into safe mode. The screen goes blank!

sinbads 14:38 31 Jul 2008

Try removing the graphic card then reboot see if it loads onboard graphics,

Also as woodchip suggests check monitor cables /try another monitor

maxjoe 15:06 31 Jul 2008

The monitor is OK, I have tried it on two monitors so far. I shall try removing the graphics card and see whether that works. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?