XP generic install

wotbus@ 21:10 05 Dec 2006

I have run Belarc on an old PC I am playing with, and recovered the XP Key. The previous owner says they didn't have any disc's. Could I run my XP disc but insert the recovered key in order to re-install?
Because I have changed the u/s mobo it is necessary to re-activate Windows within 3 days (so the balloon says). I am not worried about the activation, more in getting the PC to work properly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:15 05 Dec 2006

Could I run my XP disc but insert the recovered key in order to re-install?

Yes

wotbus@ 21:22 05 Dec 2006

Ahh, good oh. While you are here Fruit Bat /\0/\, I am having no success in getting into the BIOS! No matter how or when I hit Del during reboot, it just continues to boot into XP. I suspect the BIOS is OOD as the mobo I am using is nearly 5yrs old and was for WinMe. It now has XP on it and I think the BIOS may be causing some of the wierd problems I have been getting.

wotbus@ 21:23 05 Dec 2006

What I meant was get into the set-up.

Strawballs 22:25 05 Dec 2006

Not all Mobo's use del to enter bios some use F2 and some others, look at the post screen during boot up it will say something like to enter set up press --- but it will be quick.

Strawballs 22:30 05 Dec 2006

The XP will work as long as it is the same type ie home or pro, my son bought a PC home from work that was having major problems I tried a repair install and that did not work so his boss decided a clean install, it had a XP Pro OEM label on it so I tried my copy that I bought when I built my daughters machine and it worked fine and activated online OK.

wotbus@ 17:51 09 Dec 2006

It worked - thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone