XP Firewall no good?

dotterel 22:51 07 May 2004

There seem to be lots of recommendations for firewalls such as zonealarm etc., but they do seem to cause the occasional problem. Is the one that comes with XP not really any good? Should I replace it with another, despite possible problems? (Seems to be working ok)

VoG II 23:00 07 May 2004

It only blocks inbound access. So, if you had a trojan dialling out, it would not stop it. ZoneAlarm is as good as any click here

Forum Editor 23:05 07 May 2004

of the WinXP firewall isn't up to much. For one thing it only monitors inbound traffic, and completely ignores anything (like a Trojan) which attempts an outbound access to the internet. The WinXP SP2, shortly to be released, changes all that, and the new firewall is very much improved.

That won't come until June however, and in the meantime I recommend that you instal one of the excellent free firewalls available, like Outpost
click here Don't forget to turn off the WinXP firewall before you instal your free download. The new Service pack firewall will be turned on by default when you instal the service pack by the way, so make sure you either turn it off, or uninstall whatever you have been using up to then.

Forum Editor 23:06 07 May 2004

That's the price I pay for being long-winded!

dotterel 23:17 07 May 2004

I'll download one of them now. Thanks again.

Dan the Confused 23:22 07 May 2004

Don't wish to argue with FE, but Outpost is only a 30 day free trial. Zonealarm and Sygate aren't.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:46 08 May 2004

Outpost is only a 30 day version for the paid one. There is a free version that is just as good.....click here

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?