XP falls to see DVD in drive

londonmike 12:47 31 Aug 2008

My PC has developed a habit of not seeing DVDs when placed in the DVD drive. They do not auto play and clicking on the drive (a TSSTcorp TS-H625L)just gives a "No disk in Drive x" error.If I "Explore" the device I get a blank window. I also have a second Pioneer DVD writer and the same thing happens. The only way I can get XP to see the disk is to re-boot. Afterwards XP sees the disk and I can play with Power DVD. Then at some random point it no longer sees discs so I have to reboot and so on.

Any thoughts?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:53 31 Aug 2008

click here
Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.
This utility is only intended for Windows® XP, but also appears to work for Vista.
You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

or
Run regedit and navigate to registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

click here

Stuartli 13:02 31 Aug 2008

As you have two optical drives, one should be configured as the Master and the second one as the Slave (use the jumper on the rear of each drive to make the change if necessary).

You could also try Uninstalling both drives from Device Manager and rebooting to allow Windows to Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDRM drivers.

londonmike 08:21 01 Sep 2008

Thanks Fruit Bat. Unfortunately running the fix only made things worst as the DVD-ROM drive is now totally inaccessible "E:\ is not accessible. Access is denied".

Stuartli - The Pioneer is an external USB device and is set up as the slave. It has it's own power supply is it is not normally switched on.

Mike

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:42 01 Sep 2008

The Pioneer is an external USB device and is set up as the slave. It has it's own power supply is it is not normally switched on.

Normaly external drives in a caddy are set as master.

uesquebeathus 12:39 01 Sep 2008

I Agree with "Fruit Bat" as the usb external drive will be automatically set as master, make sure the internal DVD drive is on a Cable / jumper "master" setting and do not use the external drive unless absolutely required as every time you use it the Master/Slave setting will be screwed up. If you have changed the DVD Writing/Playback software recently, often what happens is the software removes all the references to the DVD/Cd drives in the registry as well, the XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip will fix the problem, but if you have the USB drive connected it will just screw up again.

londonmike 14:33 01 Sep 2008

Apoligies Fruit Bat and usequebeathus.

I've opened up the Pioneer 111D and it is set as a Master. Although the USB cable is connected the drive is never turned on.

One other piece of info. Under my logon (the one I ran the XR_CD-DVD-Fix on)on the internal drive is now inaccessible BUT if I switch to my wife's login the drive is accessible.

Can I get access to the drive under my logon?

Thanks for your help. Mike

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 01 Sep 2008

in your login check in device manager f there uis a problem with the drive.

uninstall it and reboot the PC let windows find and reinstall the drive.

londonmike 07:18 03 Sep 2008

Hi Fruit Bat

The problem with the uninstall and reboot is that its a one off solution. By that I mean, you uninstall, reboot and XP reinstalls - all OK. But when you turn off and next time turn on, the drive is inaccessible again so you end up going round in circles of uninstall and reboot. Regards
Mike

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:57 03 Sep 2008

Its upper and lower filter problem then as described above.

Make sure you delete BOTH

londonmike 19:50 03 Sep 2008

Hi Fruit Bat
I can't seem to find any reference to Upperfilters and Lowerfilters under the reg key you mention.I made a screen dump but it seems I can't paste it here. The lines in the right pane are :

(Default)
Class
EnumPropPages32
Icon
Installer32
NoInstallClass
SilentInstall
TroubleShooter-0

Ther are sub fiolders in the left hand pane labelled 0000 through to 0003 and all of these have sub folders labelled DigitalAudio. Sorry to be a pain about this. Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017