xp fails to boot. Help!

badhooverdog 19:47 03 Nov 2010

Hello, am running windows xp sp3 that has stopped booting up but gives the following msg

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM

If i press f10 for recovery i get msg

File ndis.sys caused error 32770 at line 3685 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\setup.c.

It doesn't mean much to me but looks serious. I dont have a reboot disk - xp came installed on the pc.

I did make a copy of my system using Acronis to an external drive some time back but dont know how install this.

Help please!

ps i may be slow to reply as using pc at work, cheers

Jwbjnwolf 20:01 03 Nov 2010

first off,
manufacture?
model?
age?
Try alt+f10
was it preinstalled?

birdface 20:02 03 Nov 2010

See if it will start in safe mode.just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts and if it lets you in try last good configuration or System restore.
It sometimes works when tapping F5 as well.

Jwbjnwolf 20:03 03 Nov 2010

sorry
missed the bit 'came installed on the pc'

Nontek 20:10 03 Nov 2010

Did you make a Recovery disc with Acronis, or do you have the Acronis original disc - if you have either, then turn of your PC, insert the Acronis disc, restart PC, follow prompts. This is how to restore your saved OS image.

badhooverdog 20:28 03 Nov 2010

jwarn, its a mesh premier pro with asus motherboard i think. its getting on for 5 years but usually have little prob with it.

nontek, will give that a go. do i do that with exrernel drive connected? i have the acronis original disc.

thanks for the quick replies

Jwbjnwolf 20:45 03 Nov 2010

So as that you were trying to do f10, I am suggesting that you have a hidden partition, am I right?
well if so which most likely answer is yes, then if notek's suggestion does not work then if it is possible, borrow an xp disk from a freind, or even maybe a later version if borrowing xp dvd is impossible, and boot to the cd, do startup repair, and it should give you an option to recover from your hidden partition.
click here
this will say what my win 7 disk done when doing startup repair. Different os's but should be basiclly same process.
hope this is useful.

woodchip 21:29 03 Nov 2010

To Restore Image Boot with the Acronis CD. follow it through its easy just brows to the tib File on the Media you created it to then click on Restore point it to the correct Partition to restore to. Using this will lose any interim files you have not backed up

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:39 03 Nov 2010

System File

Missing Or Corrupt Windows\System32\Conf\System File
click here

To fix the "windows\system32\config\system file is mising or corrupt" where
Xp wont boot:

Go to Recovery Console and type:

cd system32\config
ren system system.old
ren system.alt systemalt.old
copy c:\windows\repair\system
copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system
exit

press enter after each line

if the system file is missing then it will say cannot find system when you try to ren (rename) system.old

just move onto the next line and continue as above.

Nontek 21:55 03 Nov 2010

Recovery with Acronis - Yes, with external drive connected.

badhooverdog 15:13 06 Nov 2010

still no joy but thanks for all the advice.

looks like the back up i did with acronis is corrupted. cant get into recovery console as mesh recovery screen to starts up over it but doesnt help.

will installing a fresh copy of xp from a disk work? if so will i still have my music,photo etc files?

sorry for late reply - borrowing pc at work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?