XP Error Message

timestar 10:16 07 Aug 2009

Switched on my laptop this morning and got blue screen of death with error message - BAD_POOL_HEADER. I understand this is most often caused by a driver issue. I have installed no new hardware for months, and only software update was 2 critical updates for Windows yesterday. Luckily it re-booted okay. Two questions:
1) Is the full error message stored somewhere on my laptop?
2) Does it sound like I have a major problem?
Thanks.

Lee.C 10:30 07 Aug 2009

BAD_POOL_HEADER is one of those vague errors that could relate to a number of different things.

You might get a bit more of a clue what's wrong if you go to the Event Viewer in Control Panel/Administrator Tools click here

If that doesn't help....
i) if it was a one-off error I wouldn't worry too much about it. It could be just a blip with the updates you installed that have now corrected themselves..
ii) if it's still happening you could try System Restore to put things back to how they were a couple of days ago. Then download/install the updates one at a time to see if it was either of those that were causing the problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:32 07 Aug 2009

1) Is the full error message stored somewhere on my laptop?
2) Does it sound like I have a major problem?

1)No
2)No as long as it has booted up OK, mine machine took an age to boot this morning after last nights update was installed. It seem to be scanning drives and BAD_POOL_HEADER can be related to the indexing service.

Sea Urchin 17:00 07 Aug 2009

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?