XP Error log is full of...

Chegs ® 23:19 03 Aug 2003

The performance counter name string value in the registry is incorrectly formatted. The bogus string is 2286, the bogus index value is the first DWORD in Data section while the last valid index values are the second and third DWORD in Data section.

and

The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found.

Could some kind soul tell me what these are referring to,in particular the second one as I suddenly couldn't get my adsl connection to connect to access the IE/Opera,yet the connection icon in the taskbar connected as soon as I booted up?I had to Repair XP to get my connection working again,as reinstalling the driver for my PCI Conexant card(having first removed them)would only allow the cfg icon on the desktop,not the "dialler" icon.

Chegs ® 00:22 04 Aug 2003

I think I know what the second one was,I use CCProxy to enable my adsl connection to be shared by my daughter,and its set to dial for me on boot,if the modem was somehow(dunno why)refusing to install then this error was created by CCProxy,but WHY the modem refused to initialise still hasn't become apparent.I was busy d/l the Win Updates,rebooted and I no longer could connect.I also had problems with 1GB of DDR Ram,resulting in various errors which disappeared as soon as I removed the newest two sticks.These were tested in a friends puter(at 266FSB)and ran faultlessly at this speed,yet I tried them again in my puter earlier,(333FSB)and they quickly got quite hot,and then various crashes/errors appeared.I will be looking for new RAM and I think 3200 is going to be the speed.

Chegs ® 11:25 04 Aug 2003

refresh

Chegs ® 15:21 04 Aug 2003

refresh

Chegs ® 20:04 04 Aug 2003

?

Chegs ® 22:40 04 Aug 2003

?

Jester2K II 22:45 04 Aug 2003

.... try clarifying the problem for us.....

Chegs ® 23:24 04 Aug 2003

The problem is my install of XP home needs repaired at very frequent intervals to allow me to recreate the MBR(as I cannot use the normal FIXBOOT or FDISK /MBR commands due to having an unusual MBR thru using two SATA hdd's)I have looked in the Error log and the above two errors are repeated 50+ times on the 1st Aug,which coincides with my reinstall of XP into the SATA drives,then visiting Win Updates,D/L them which requires a restart,and on reboot,IF XP actually starts,I found all these errors in the log.I have been searching google,and as far as I can gather,the second error is caused by one of my progs attempting to connect to the net,but wasn't able as XP had "switched off" something(hidden services?)that stopped my modem from reinstalling the connect desktop icon for my ADSL.I presume the service "switched off" by XP was "Remote Access Connection Manager service" and this was a Registry error? but as I cannot find anything via google about the "The performance counter name string value in the registry is incorrectly formatted" that makes any sense,I asked in here.

Chegs ® 23:59 04 Aug 2003

I found this page explaining what the "Services Control Manager" is,according to the error log "Services Control Manager" had the "The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found. "click here and things are starting to become clearer for me to,as the 1st error looks like its something wrong in the registry(this might explain why the connect icon refused to work,or reinstall)and the second points to what was affected by the registry corruption.I also spent awhile counting exactly how many of the Service Control Manager errors there were,and it was 500 all-in!!! This points to a MAJOR problem,and I want to know WHY/WHAT is creating this error,am I correct in the above?

Chegs ® 00:03 05 Aug 2003

Also there is this error

"Performance counter data collection from the "Tcpip" service has been disabled due to one or more errors generated by the performance counter library for that service. The error(s) that forced this action have been written to the application event log. The error(s) should be corrected before the performance counters for this service are enabled again. "

How would I go about correcting this?

Chegs ® 00:04 05 Aug 2003

without Repairing XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?