XP Drivers help needed.

rickf 21:14 26 Mar 2009

Hi,
I am installing XP and getting rid of Vista. I have all the xp drivers for my laptop saved on DVD. My questions are 1) Do I save them on a partition in Vista now before installing XP new disc? or 2) Leave them on DVD and install XP, then install the drivers from DVD? Bearing in mind that this is a full set of XP drivers for my laptop model and would include the chipset drivers.
THanks Help urgent as XP disc arriving tomorrow.

VOT Productions 21:25 26 Mar 2009

I'll pick 2, install after the install of XP
(You need a SATA driver in the partioning part)
Best way to install drivers is Safe Mode (F8 Safe Mode) Right-click My Computer, Propertions and Hardware, Device Manvier and Right-Click the hardware and update and follow the ways to install driver(s)

rickf 22:13 26 Mar 2009

hi robo1270
thanks. I have SATA driver on the disc. what do you mean on the partition part? Do I have toinstall this first for the H/D to be recognised. If so where do I save it on the H/d?

canarieslover 22:23 26 Mar 2009

Before you install, consider that it may be cheaper to put a new hard drive in first so that you still have your Vista drive handy if the XP install fails. This is very common in modern laptops even where it seems that you have all the necessary drivers. Usually the install fails to see the SATA hard drive and you then need to install SATA drivers for the motherboard from a floppy. By using a new hard drive you won't have to buy a fresh copy of Vista if your restore partition is killed by a reformat of your hard drive. This would be necessary as Vista doesn't allow a downgrade install of XP.

lotvic 23:01 26 Mar 2009

canarieslover is giving you excellent advice.

You also should read about installing click here gives step by step with screenshots

VOT Productions 17:35 01 Apr 2009

You need a SATA driver in the partioning part of the install part means after you press a key press F6 on the keyboard and follow the text

Recommended to have

-a pendrive and
a DVD with drivers

or

-a floppy with drivers

Type back, rickf

VOT Productions 17:36 01 Apr 2009

Or buy an IDE Hard Drive

rickf 20:18 01 Apr 2009

Hi Robo1270
Thanks for getting back. Decided to buy a new h/d SaTa in my case. So that's the route I'm going down this w/end. Seems more starightforward and I'll keep the other drive with Vista on it in case I decide to upgrade sometime in the near future.
Thanks for all your input.

rickf 12:26 05 Apr 2009

sorted. not difficult all. searching for the drivers was the most diificult and bits of niggly problems aftet xp install but sorted in the end with a bit of patience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone