XP drivers

fazer 13:00 04 May 2006

Could someone please advise me whether XP could run (read, copy etc) an external CD writer without having to load the actual writers software.

The reason for this query is because the company I work for does not allow third party software to be loaded unless supplied by their "preferred providor" - the supplier in question wants £200 for the unit itself, another £40 for the software and on top of that, I will need to spend another £100 to get the (internal)drive fitted.

I know what some of you are thinking so please be assured that it has been ok'd for me to find an alternative solution so I immeadiately thought of an external drive from PC World or such like. The software is an issue though - hence my question.

Taff™ 13:13 04 May 2006

I can`t see why your company has a problem with the software. If they want you to have the facility of writing Cd`s they must surely allow the software to be loaded on the machine. You can pick up an internal DVD/CD writer for less than £50 and any competent IT assistant could fit it in less than an hour, software and all.

XP supports writing to a CD writer anyway but it`s not as versatile as Nero, for example which could be bundled with the CD Writer.

fazer 13:24 04 May 2006

Taff

The issue they have is that understandably, they do not want all and sundry to upload potentially risky software. The control they have in place is that only an "administrator" can install programmes and furthermore, only programmes as supplied by a certain company.

Yes the cost is ridiculous but thats someones else's issue.

Anyway, do I take from your last sentence that XP will support any external drive as far as simple drag'n drop copying is concerned? All I want to do is archive some of my work onto a Cd that is slowly clogging my system.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:18 04 May 2006

Anyway, do I take from your last sentence that XP will support any external drive as far as simple drag'n drop copying is concerned? All I want to do is archive some of my work onto a Cd that is slowly clogging my system.

It is doubtful whether XP will recognise and write to and external CD writer without the appropriate drivers, without admin privileges you will not be able to install the drivers.

You may however be able to insert a USB pen / flash drive to copy the files to, as XP can regonise alot of these without requiring new drivers.

fazer 12:35 05 May 2006

Thank you Fruit Bat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone