XP Driver for a downgraded computer

lyricalxheart 19:40 19 May 2008

Hi.
I recently downgraded my Acer Aspire Desktop computer from Windows Vista to Windows XP. Everything worked fine, and I have XP now. However, when I tried to use the internet, the Ethernet light wouldn't come on. I understand that Ill need to download a Network driver, otherwise known as an Ethernet driver, in order for my internet to function properly now that Ive downgraded my computer. I have been to the Acer website looking for drivers, but they all seemed to be for Windows Vista.

The 'version' number on the front is ast671 - ep820a, and the model number I should use to find these drivers is T671.

I know also that I need a sound driver of some sort for my speakers to work, and perhaps also a graphics driver since everything on the screen is a bit stretched out. If anyone also has information on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

PLEASE AND THANKYOU! :)

Stuartli 19:49 19 May 2008

You most likely need to visit the manufacturers' websites of the components involved for the drivers.

The T671 comes with Vista, so obviously support for it will be under that operating system.

Installing Everest Home Edition from:

click here

will/should reveal the manufacturers and components involved.

PA28 19:49 19 May 2008

Try click here for starters.

@[email protected]!c 20:06 19 May 2008

click here

double check that this systenm is yours then choose the appropriate driver...kind regards akanic

Stuartli 21:28 19 May 2008

But it's for Vista.

The whole point is that the system is now being used with XP...:-)

Eric10 22:22 19 May 2008

According to Acer's website your Lan adapter is a Marvell 8EE8056. I can't find any reference to a driver for this on their website but there is a reference to a Marvell 88E8056 and several others starting with 88Exxxx. It may be a simple typing error on their website and your Network adapter may indeed be a 88E8056. click here for an XP driver that looks promising.
If this doesn't work and you don't find another suitable driver then you may want to consider disabling the on-board lan and fitting a PCI lan card. Make sure that you buy one that is XP compatible of course.

Eric10 22:27 19 May 2008

The above link I provided doesn't go into the correct page. Just click the Drivers link at the top and then complete the form or go straight to the download page at click here

lyricalxheart 02:00 20 May 2008

my uncle phoned me today and told me that, in fact, the drivers for the model t660 will work for the t671, and sent them in a zip file to me.

Eric 10, you certainly seemed to have the answer, because when i uploaded his zip file, it contained a document labelled nearly the same as what what labelled on the website link you sent me.

thanks so much for all the help!
i know where to come the next time i need a hand with computer issues.

while im replying, i thought anyone might find this youtube clip a bit entertaining, considering the troubles youve helped me to solve:
click here

thanks so much again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires