XP doesn't Stand By anymore, only Turns Off itself

moohoo 19:02 26 Apr 2009

Hello,

My problem is that when I choose to put my computer in Stand By mode, as it is preparing itself for Stand By it immediately powers itself off so in effect it has turned itself off. It didn't used to do this so I'm sure this is a new problem for my PC.

I've already defragmented my HDD and I've tested the ram with MS's windiag.iso utility and that says my ram has no problems, even after I tested it with extra testing (11 stages).

Also my PC won't power on immediately after it's been turned off - I now have to wait a few minutes with a extra button pushes before it powers on (loose / faulty On button or a problem with the power supply?), though I don't know if this has anything to do with the Stand By issue.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

woodchip 20:56 26 Apr 2009

Have you check Power Options in Control Panel? If you have and they are set correct try running from the Run box

SFC /SCANNOW note space before /

moohoo 20:19 27 Apr 2009

Hi, thanks so much for responding.

I've tried the SFC /SCANNOW as you suggested. The scan says there are unrecognised versions of files Windows need and that I must restore the original versions of the files. It asks me to insert my XP Service Pack 3 CD but the problem is I don't have a proper Windows disc because the PC I bought only came with a restore to factory settings disc. Is there anyway to repair the files without the disc?

woodchip 21:04 27 Apr 2009

I think there is from i386 folder if you have it on your system, Press Win Key plus E key then look first under c:\ then under Windows folder for it. you should be able to extract the necessary files from that. or you may be able to do a repair

moohoo 19:19 28 Apr 2009

Ok, so I'm in the i386 folder and there are lots of .dll files. Where can I find the correct / original .dll files I need to replace the broken files in my folder? Do I manually replace each individual file by drag and drop? Thanks.

woodchip 21:20 28 Apr 2009

click each cab file till you find the file you need to extract

moohoo 22:10 28 Apr 2009

I see the cab files, but how do I know which .dll files need replacing? When I use SFC /SCANNOW I get these message, with the 2nd message constantly repeated:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these file. Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now." &

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now."

Thanks again for helping.

woodchip 00:10 29 Apr 2009

so it does not tell you the files it needs!

If thats the case only thing I can think of is for you to Buy or Borrow a operating System Disc and do a repair. Although I think it may be possible to use the i386 to create a disc to do this. If can do the above then you can do a repair of the operating system.

A Restore disc is only good for putting the computer back to factory settings. It will not do a repair. unless it was a Medion restore disc

moohoo 20:22 29 Apr 2009

:(

Oh well, guess I should restore it back to factory settings or even upgrade it to Vista then.

But now I'm also getting the BSOD with error 0x0000009c. Could it still be a RAM fault even though I've checked it with Windiag.iso and that says the RAM is good?

Thanks again for responding.

woodchip 21:11 29 Apr 2009

With Ram, if you have two sticks try with one and change them, so as to test both

moohoo 11:37 02 May 2009

Thanks for your help woodchip, but my PC died this morning and it now has problems worse than no standby mode so I'm closing this thread and opening another one for more help.

Once again, thanks a lot for your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone