XP Default video codecs?

Ptolemy 14:16 13 Jun 2007

If have to give a presentation next week in which I want to include a small video clip.

The original format of the video is .AVI compressed with the Xvid codec but I anticipate compatibility issues.

I have various video converters and lots of codecs so changing format (wmv/mpg etc) isn't a great problem - but which format is best ensure the video plays on someone else's machine - which codecs come as standard in XP?

Thanks

Technotiger 15:00 13 Jun 2007
  Ptolemy 15:06 13 Jun 2007

Thanks for the answer,

but I want to know which codecs come in the normal, standard XP installation (not which can installed) so I know my clip will play.

I've got some many extra codecs added that I can't be certain that just because a video plays on my PC it will play on a different machine.

brundle 15:12 13 Jun 2007

Try Sherlock (click here)
Check the list for Microsoft codecs, you can discount any WMP codecs above v9 as they are upgrades, DivX, XVid etc

Technotiger 15:34 13 Jun 2007

Hmm, as far as I am aware one only gets simple avi. jpeg and mpeg, but as there are so many different codecs within these it is normal to download/install
the latest codec pack for XP which is available. I cannot say exactly what comes as 'standard' ... perhaps someone else will be able to answer that better than I.

Technotiger 15:39 13 Jun 2007

Or perhaps this may be rather more accurate ...

click here

Ptolemy 15:39 13 Jun 2007

At the moment I'm assuming" that .WMV must be included with a new install - WINDOWS media video seems a reasonable assumption, but...

If anyone knows one way or another I would appreciate the help.

brundle 15:40 13 Jun 2007

I would go with Technotiger's last post

Ptolemy 15:42 13 Jun 2007

"Or perhaps this may be rather more accurate ...

click here"

Wonderful - just what I need (and for some reason couldn't find).

Thanks

Ptolemy 15:43 13 Jun 2007

Had some overlapping posts.

Problem solved - thanks to you both.

Technotiger 16:54 13 Jun 2007

Grreat, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?