xp decided to refuse detecting my sony walkman

Jwbjnwolf 18:39 23 Nov 2010

I have a sony walkman nwz-b143 mp3, which is lovely and had it for a year and a few months. I was happily using it on my xp home sp3 acer aspire one netbook untill it suddenly misplaced the installed driver, so when i pluged it in, it tryed installing the device like as if it was brand new or at least never had been inserted in my netbook, and it failed the install as it says there is no file on my mp3 that windows installs the needed driver from.
and it is alright on the dell computer and my other laptop which have put away to save the stress, and it installs just fine on all of the school pc's.
I know this is a very common issue with all plug and play devices as 2/3 weeks ago the usb dongle for the internet at club had become undetectable so i know this is very common as annoying as it is.
I have several times googled around for the correct driver but nothing relevant comes up.
So i was wondering if anyone knows a direct link to the correct driver download i need. I know about these driver finder programs but when i download what ever one it is a pay for one so it is a waste.
So if there is no easily findable driver download, is there any free program that will find and download the correct drivers(a little like what driverfetch does click here)
I know driver fetch is a pay for app but is there any free alternative?
any help will be great as it is so annoying having to go back and for my netbook and our dell.
Also how do you turn off the copyright feature in windows media player 12?
as I stupidly turned it on so i cannot copy files to my mp3 or what ever device i try copying to.

GaT7 19:22 23 Nov 2010

I got this off the Sony site (can't post a link as a generic one is being created):

1. Connect the player to the computer.

2. From the computer, select start - Control Panel - Performance and Maintenance - System. "System Properties" is displayed.

3. Select Hardware tab, and open Device manager.

4. Open Universal Serial Bus controllers, and select USB Mass Storage Device or WALKMAN NWZ-XXXXX.

5. Select Action - Update Driver ... from the menu bar. "Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard" is displayed.

6. A dialog on Windows Update connection will be displayed. Select No, not this time., followed by Next.

7. Select Install from a list or specific location [Advanced], followed by Next for the hardware install method.

8. Select Don't search. I will choose the driver to install., followed by Next for the search and install option.

9. Check Show compatible hardware, and then select MTP Device* in the model list, followed by Next. The device driver is installed.

10. "Completing the Hardware Update Wizard" message is displayed, and confirm "MTP Device" message. Click Finish.

*MTP: Media Transfer Protocol

G

Jwbjnwolf 19:41 23 Nov 2010

it only says all the intel stuff like 'Intel(R) SCH Family USB Universal Host Controller' ans so on
and 'USB Composite Device'
and 4x'USB Root Hub'

But under 'Portable Devices' it says 'USB Device' and it has one of those exclamation marks in yellow circle. my walkman is the only USB Device connected so i am guessing it is that?

tullie 19:48 23 Nov 2010

According to WOT,the link you provided is an unsafe site.

Jwbjnwolf 19:50 23 Nov 2010

YES
before tryed updating it, Tryed again installing driver and I tryed doing this several times before but would not work,
that was before had the internet but YEPIIII
worked this time
so i can now see if i can fit some of STATUS QUO on.
thanks for the info
Trial and Error all of this stuff ain't it.
Thanks anyway, at least I will be able to use my netbook exactly how i mean to use it for.

Jwbjnwolf 19:52 23 Nov 2010

What do you mean Tullie
my avg didnt tell me it was unsafe and i now have WOT and it didnt say it was unsafe.

tullie 20:32 23 Nov 2010

According to WOT,the link you provided is an unsafe site.That is exactly what i mean.

Jwbjnwolf 20:54 23 Nov 2010

see what you mean now by it saying its unsafe
but my avg safe search says its safe and i trust avg
im uninstaling it as it is pointless

northumbria61 13:20 24 Nov 2010

My WOT came up as "Safe" for your link.

Jwbjnwolf 14:46 24 Nov 2010

That WOT is stupid as far as i am concerned
as i done a google search for that my avg always shows an icon on google next to the link and it was green so it had reported that there were no threats or stuff on it so I would not put a link if it was an unsafe site.

Jwbjnwolf 15:57 24 Nov 2010

Anyone know the best free driver finding programs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?