XP crashes on games.

izzywish 02:35 14 Apr 2010

A few days back I downloaded Need For Speed Carbon from EA and after installing it most of my games now crash on load-up. Star Trek On-Line worked fine before, as did Guild Wars which both now exhibit the same issue. Loading screens are fine but as soon as any game gets past it the screen becomes corrupt and the PC freezes. I have reinstalled my GFX drivers, and tried to reinstall DirectX to no avail. No other problems on the system.

The only game that does seem to still work is Hoyle Board Games, so I presume it may be a fault in my DirectX files maybe?

System is as follows;

AMD X2 4400+
Nvidia GSO 9600
XP Media SP3

TIA

T I M B O 20:38 26 Apr 2010

Don't most games come on a cd or dvd, not being a gamer i would not know. Where do you download these games from?

ame 20:50 26 Apr 2010

Are you using Steam?

citadel 21:11 26 Apr 2010

to test dx, start, run, type in, dxdiag when it starts you can run test

izzywish 04:21 29 Apr 2010

@Timbo: nah loads of companies offer digital downloads these days, this one came from EA Store but many others do the same.

@others thx for help.

Turns out my GFX card was on it's way out so I guess the extra strain from that game was just enough to send it to the edge and beyond. Replaced it now and it is all good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?