XP Control panel

tommohawk 21:34 24 Feb 2004

I'm on WinXP and have moved from AOL to wireless Broadband.

Now hen I go into the control panel and then Install or remove programme and windows components it flashes 'Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.'

How can I reset these permissions ??
Any advise would be greatful

Regards Tomo

LastChip 21:46 24 Feb 2004

Are you logged in as Administrator?

tommohawk 07:42 25 Feb 2004

I'm not sure. I've checked settings and can't define. How do you set this up to be Administrator assuming this is the faul.

Thanks

Jakey boy 09:25 25 Feb 2004

First thing to do is get rid of everything to do with AOL on your HD!! They're worse than a virus, and just as hard to get rid of!!

pyrocrafter 11:56 25 Feb 2004

Go to the Control Panel - click on user accounts. Next to your login name it says if you are an Administrator. If you're not click on change account and tick the administrator box.

palinka 14:11 25 Feb 2004

Getting rid of AOL can be quite a problem. I've found best way is to go to Start>search and search for Files or folders named AOL; then delete them all.

tommohawk 19:20 25 Feb 2004

Thanks - got rid of AOL stuff as suggested.

The main issue is still when I go into Control panel and click on "Install or remove programme and windows components it flashes 'Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.'
The same thing happens when I try and access user accounts.
Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks

tommohawk 21:31 25 Feb 2004

All
I switched off my firewall (Kiero) by accident and was then able to get straight into control panel with no fuss.
Obviously some strange goings on with my firewall.
Thanks for the info on AOL - there's just one file left I cant seem to erase.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?