Xp Constantly rebooting

lixdexik 13:02 16 Jan 2008

I have a friend that is having a problem getting logged on to his machine.
The computer loads up to the point where you click on your own ID to log on then it goes back to the start and reboots.

He has had a problem recently with a virus which installed when a junior member of the family was invited to close the anti virus software so windows could update.

He has used his Acronis disc image to reinstall everything, which he has used before and the machine has run fine for ages, now he is having this reboot problem. Any thoughts as to what might be the problem.

Cheers Lixdexik

mymate 15:23 16 Jan 2008

Scroll down to answer 3 click here

mymate 15:24 16 Jan 2008
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:32 16 Jan 2008

He has used his Acronis disc image to reinstall everything, which he has used before and the machine has run fine for ages

Ok so forget the virus as you have reinstalled a good image.

looks like it has developed a corrupp XP file or user profile

try a repair first
If it will boot to safe mode (tap F8 while booting)the
Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

lixdexik 17:49 16 Jan 2008

I have passed the info on, just have to wait and see what happens now.

Cheers

Lixdexik

SeptimusFry 15:42 17 Jan 2008

I have connected with the links elsewhere you have been given. I would like to suggest an alternative, as I had this same problem and this is how I resolved it...
Come up in safe mode. Ran msconfig and disabled all the startup items. Bootedup as normal. If this succeeds, you have a startup item as the problem, and successive re-introduction of the startup items (you might like to bring in about 4 at a time) will identify the one which is doing it.

In my case, it was an updated driver for my graphics board. Some kind of interaction with my particular motherboard.

Not saying this will necessarily work in your case, but it is easily tried.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?