XP changeme.exe on start up

SteveC66 10:49 11 Feb 2010

I have an XP PC which when I boot up produces an error message:
'changeme.exe cannot be found.......etc'

I want to remove this message.

I did have problems with my home page being changed by the PC and I tried to remove a few random files and it seems to have worked to a limited extent but the message now appears :-(
Any advice very much welcome.
Many thanks x

MAJ 10:53 11 Feb 2010

Chances are that one of your antispyware programs has removed the spyware file but it is still being looked for at startup. Go to Start > Run and type in:

msconfig

and click OK. Click the Startup tab and look for an entry referring to that 'changeme.exe' file. If you see it, untick it, click Apply and OK to exit, then reboot your PC.

birdface 13:33 11 Feb 2010

Maybe update and run Malwarebytes free version and see if it picks anything up.

SteveC66 20:40 12 Feb 2010

Thanks MAJ and buteman but Ive still no joy. I looked at the start up files as per MAj's advice but I could not identify an alien file. Most of the start up files were either Adobe or Microsoft files. I did turn some of the files on and off in a trial and error method but the message kept reoccuring.

The message exactly as it appears on start up is:
Windows cannot find 'changwme.exe'. Make sure you type the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

Any other advice welcome

Cheers Steve

Technotiger 21:20 12 Feb 2010

Have you tried running Ccleaner, might be a glitch in the registry.

Technotiger 21:25 12 Feb 2010

click here on another forum, talking about Registry in relation to the same thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone