XP Boot-up Problems

andy334 16:56 17 May 2008

Hi all, I recently noticed my computer was sluggish on start-up. About the 4th time I booted-up I started to get windows error messages appearing on the desktop before the start-up was complete. These varied but were essentially "MS Config has encountered a problem and needs to close". Alerts such as this continued and then changed to "system32 has encountered a problem etc". I would also get these alerts for programmes that would usually boot-up on their own such as ZoneAlarm and then I was getting them when I tried to manually start programmes.

While trying to isolate the problem running all sorts of anti-virus, spyware, hijackthis logs, system restore etc the whole system crashed and I have now lost the ability to start-up completely.

My system has 2 drives C: & D: with D: being the recovery console. Unfortunately, trying to reinstall items from the D: drive such as fixmbr, fixboot etc has not worked. Everytime I try to recover the bootup system from the recovery console I get error messages that there were errors on the drive which prevented this operation.

My best guess is that the hard drive is physically corrupt across the boot-up sectors so I have been attempting to obtain a boot-up disk that I can make onto CD rather than floppy. I am currently using the kids Vista computer which has no A: drive hence the need for a boot-up CD.

I am not sure if a Boot-CD will resolve the problem as I think I will need to somehow move the boot-up location to get the system working.

I intend to purchase a new hard-drive as soon as possible but there are files on the current one that I really need and I am now totally out of my depth on how to resolve this (if it is at all possible).

Grateful for any help anyone can suggest.

Ditch999 17:03 17 May 2008

First question: What OS?
Second Q: Do you have that OS on a disc?

andy334 17:07 17 May 2008

Windows XP SP2.

No - the OS came pre-installed from PC World.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:08 17 May 2008

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:09 17 May 2008

Borrow a XP CD same as yours (Home / Pro) and do the above repair.

andy334 17:10 17 May 2008

Thanks fruitbat. I unfortunately do not have the XP CD - it was pre-installed.

Switcher 17:14 17 May 2008

^

Ditch999 17:16 17 May 2008

If its pre installed then there should be an option when you boot the pc to enter recovery mode, something like Press F2.

andy334 17:19 17 May 2008

Thanks Ditch - tried all variations of the recovery console but the moment I try to do anything it says it needs to do a full diskscan to continue. At the end of the diskscan it tells me it can not continue as the hard-drive has unrecoverable problems.

I assume this means the hard-drive is totalled but I want to try a boot-up with a CD before giving up and writing the HD off.

Ditch999 17:27 17 May 2008

Do you know anyone with an XP CD? It has to be the same as yours as Fruit Bat said, but it will work.

andy334 18:00 17 May 2008

Unfortunately I am new to the area and dont know anyone. Will try and obtain one and take it from there.

Thanks to all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?