XP boot up problem

ian3 18:00 07 Apr 2005

Hi
I have new Medion with XP Home which I upgraded to XP Pro and also amended the contents of Disks (partitions D, E & F) by getting rid of their contents. The pc works fine except that it will only boot up when the upgrade disk is in and I ignore a window asking me to press any key if I wish to start up using the disk. If I do press any key it want's to reload XP Pro.
Otherwise it works brilliantly. Any suggestions as to how I can boot up automatically without the disk in would be appreciated.

Ian

Indigo 1 18:03 07 Apr 2005

Have you tried re-loading XP as the machine suggests ?

QuickHare 18:10 07 Apr 2005

It sounds like something wasn't copied to the harddrive properly, and it's still on the CD, so Windows fails to load without this CD (and therefore file) present.

Try reinstalling Windows from scratch (to delete everything) and see if that helps.

ian3 18:12 07 Apr 2005

Thanks for the super quick responses.

Yes, I've reloaded three times and still it isn't resolved.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 07 Apr 2005

Reset BIOS to boot from Hard drive first.

Fingees 18:18 07 Apr 2005

Have you tried setting your hard drive as first boot up device.

It's worth trying, as it won't look for CD then.

ian3 18:19 07 Apr 2005

Thanks Fruit Bat but parden my ignorance but how do you do that.

Ian

ian3 18:20 07 Apr 2005

Thanks Fingees but again could you explain how? Cheers

stalion 18:30 07 Apr 2005

keep tapping del on your keyboard when you boot up it will take you to the bios,search the bios until you find the options for bootup which will be hd,cd,or floppy.Put your hd as first boot and your cd as second floppy as third.Just follow the instructions on your bios and make sure you choose exit and save settings when you have done it.Need any more help post back

ian3 18:52 07 Apr 2005

Many thanks Stalion, I got into the BIOS and the alternatives were OS 2 or as I had it (can't remember now) So I switched to OS2 and I've booted up twice since without a problem.

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated

Ian

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:18 07 Apr 2005

BIOS Settings
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?