XP Backup Wizard

iqs 14:47 06 Jun 2008

Hello.I have just used XP Backup Wizard to back up the System State and action a complete backup of everything on a old PC I own.

I know how to restore the System State,but can anyone explain the procedure for the complete backup.I have a 3.8GB folder on the Pc.

Do I boot from the backup once it is burned to DVD,or do I install XP with the original disc,then use the complete backup.

Also,what is the routine with the Automated System Recovery Wizard,how does this work please.

Many thanks,IQS

johndrew 15:32 06 Jun 2008

This click here should answer all your questions and provide a bit more information as well.

iqs 15:57 06 Jun 2008

johndrew,cheers very helpful

iqs 21:21 06 Jun 2008

Hello,

I have just completed a full backup using ASR.I have tried to burn the image to a DVD,but the image is to big,it is 6780MB,any ideas please???.Cheers

iqs 13:14 07 Jun 2008

sorry bump

johndrew 14:32 07 Jun 2008

I presume you ran a registry cleaner before the backup to get rid of the rubbish and I presume this is also only the Windows file - it seems a bit large.

If the image is that large, I think your best bet would be a separate HDD or, possibly, a double density DVD. I think it is already compressed so there is no point trying for more.

The only other option would be to try and break it down but I`m not sure that is possible.

iqs 15:13 07 Jun 2008

I selected,backup the complete PC,I assume this was the OS and all installed apps.

Should I of only selected the OS?,if yes then how?.But if this is correct,then the disc will contain the same data has the original XP disc?.

Thanks for the help,cheers

johndrew 16:14 07 Jun 2008

If you read the information in my original link click here one of the options is `Let me choose what to backup`. If you use this you will be able to make separate files of what is on your PC, these should be small enough to go on a DVD if you do it correctly. I would suggest that `Windows` is a separate file from `Programs`; where you put the smaller files is your choice, but use `Properties` to look at file sizes and you should be able to work it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?