XP Back up

Molly_Don 06:12 27 Feb 2010

I have an 2 year old Acer aspire desktop with windows XP pre installed on the desktop; no discs were supplied with the machine, not long ago I had XP reinstalled due to a virus or something, it got me thinking maybe if I had a backup I could have used that, the problem is I’ve never done a back up before and not sure what to do, so can someone advise me what I need to do please?

I also have a laptop which had Vista installed, because I’m used to XP I had XP put on to the laptop, again no discs were supplied, once I’ve created the discs using the above process, can I use them on the laptop if needed or do I have to create a new set of discs from the laptop.

User-1229748 07:30 27 Feb 2010

most on here would say acronis is what would be your best bet.will need two different backups,one for each machine. click here shop around for cheaper price though if you decide on acronis

canarieslover 08:45 27 Feb 2010

You can try Easeus Todo BackUp which does a similar job to Acronis and is available free for home use.
click here

sunnystaines 10:04 27 Feb 2010

have a look a macrium its free and useful

click here

john bunyan 15:14 27 Feb 2010

Have a look here!
click here

john bunyan 15:15 27 Feb 2010
  Molly_Don 15:36 27 Feb 2010

Thanks everyone, but oh god, so much information, OK, I'll review all the links but I may well be back with some quesions.

BRYNIT 22:17 27 Feb 2010

You could also try Paragon Backup and Recovery 10.1 click here

MarvintheAndroid 23:54 27 Feb 2010

Backing up from a Laptop will probably mean using an external hard disk USB2 or Firewire. Several external drives are available with one touch or self starting backup software built in. These are more expensive than bare drives, but provide a good choice for the beginner.

For example click here

Marv

DieSse 12:21 04 Mar 2010

"I also have a laptop which had Vista installed, because I’m used to XP I had XP put on to the laptop, again no discs were supplied"

That just sounds so unlikely. Why were you not given the Windows CD for that? If you purchased a copy, you should have been given the CD.

Anyway - if you have legitimate Product keys for your system, you can just borrow a CD, or even copy one (the licence does not refer to making copies of the CD, only to using a copy on one system only) It's not the CD itself that's important here, it's the ownership of a unique product key - the CDs are not unique to any one licence purchaser).

ronalddonald 11:20 12 Mar 2010

to click here and type in acronis and buy it run it make sure you also buy an external drive to back up the computer to and use clone disc function on arcronis

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017