XP automatic updates

BingoBoy 14:04 01 Sep 2010

I seem to have automatic updates being added to my Dell Dimension 2400 SP3 every time I close my PC. There always seems to be one update that fails and this relates to Daylight saving time. I have read that removing this particular update using the Control is the way to clear the problem but when trying to remove it comes up with a message that certain files might not work properly if I remove the update. I have recently had a nightmare experience when I successfully removed SP3 (something which I should never have done)in an attempt to reinstall it. As a result I am reluctant to remove that particular update evn though it is clearly referenced.

My PC seems to be particularly sluggish when I turn it on and seems to be carry out all sorts of jobs for a good 10 minutes even though I have not started anything.

Does anybody know if these issues are linked and what are the consequences of removing the problem update?

cocteau48 15:06 01 Sep 2010

I am a little confused as you say that the update fails and,therefore,if the update has not actually installed then it cannot be removed as there is nothing to remove.

If you wish to stop the update notification you can go to the Microsoft update site and check for updates. If you then choose custom rather than express updates and expand the relevant update you should see a small check box which says "do not show this update again

BingoBoy 15:15 01 Sep 2010

This is the update that keeps failing:

Update for Windows XP (KB931836)

but it also appears on the Add/Remove programme listing. So I am confused and agree with what you say...how can it be there if it fails?? If I update whilst logged on my PC seems to instal 3 of the 4 as indicated by the message done but the update as per the reference above always fails.

The list of installed programmes does show this update refence. Will your solution just deal with this update? Can I still get automatic updates but exclude this one?

cocteau48 15:17 01 Sep 2010

sorry... pressed the send button too soon!

I was going to add that if the update has partially installed and does appear in the control panel then there is little harm in uninstalling it and manually trying a reinstall via the update site as above.

cocteau48 15:19 01 Sep 2010

"Can I still get automatic updates but exclude this one?" .... Yes!

Sea Urchin 17:06 01 Sep 2010

If you go to Windows Update and check your update history you can see if it has installed successfully.

birdface 18:34 01 Sep 2010

This is what the update is for.

click here

maybe try downloading it from here.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?