XP auto updates, will they slow computer down?

jon_nic 16:59 07 Sep 2005

i have XP and just installed SP2.
I want to know if all the updates i will install using automatic update will slow my computer down or effect its performance?
do i need all the updates or can i just go for the "critial" ones. do these updates also take significant amounts of space on my HDD?

thanks.

NICK H 17:02 07 Sep 2005

My XP is configured to automatically downlaod all updates and it does not appear to have changed anything. As far as I know our other computer does the same and this runs smoothly still. I do'nt think it actually stores them on your hard disk or to your computer at all as it never asks for a place to save them to.

Hope this helps.

Jackcoms 18:42 07 Sep 2005

"do i need all the updates or can i just go for the "critical" ones".

Automatic Updates only downloads and installs critical or high priority updates such as security updates and service packs.

It does NOT download upgrades and tools that help improve the performance of your computer - that's up to you to download them manually.

palinka 18:47 07 Sep 2005

I find that if an auto update is coming in while you're trying to do something else (like update your antivirus) it can make both tasks slower if your PC is inclined to be a bit slow anyway. But as for slowing it down generally, no it won't do that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?