XP, Auto Remind 2 create Restore Point before new install of app?

myfoot 17:32 20 Jun 2011

Hi, am always forgetting to do this, create a restore point before I install a new app on pc. This week-end I was trying out a few dodgy apps, none of which eventually worked.

Would be nice to get a pop-up or the like to remind me to do this. Anybody know a way to get this to happen. Thanks

robin_x 19:36 20 Jun 2011

You could put a shortcut to System Restore in your Startup folder. At least it will pop-up every time you boot.

Anything more complicated is beyond me.

myfoot 08:16 21 Jun 2011

If anybody is interested I found this. It's VBS script. It will create a restore point giving you the option to name. I've put it in a folder on C:, created a shortcut on the desktop, and changed the icon to make it stand out more. I keep a fairly bare desktop so it stands out. This works for me in XP Pro sp3. Copy and paste this, omitting double-quote marks at start and end ""Set IRP = getobject("winmgmts:\.\root\default:Systemrestore")

strDescription = InputBox("Restore point description: ","My Restore Point")

MYRP = IRP.createrestorepoint (strDescription, 0, 100)""

Would still like to find a method that would automatically respond to new installs.

myfoot 08:33 21 Jun 2011

Sorry forgot copy and paste to a new ".txt" file, then change the extension to".vbs" so you have something like "Create restore point.vbs" .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?