XP after Microsoft

MuDelta 17:19 10 Jan 2015
Answered

Before MS ended support for XP, there were dire warnings of there were dire warnings of what might happen after the withdrawal; have they eventuated or were they greatly exaggerated? It would be interesting to know and to see how many users abandoned XP and how many continue to use it and with what result. Is there a different view of the risks now that the dust has settled? What have people's experience been?

Ian in Northampton 17:37 10 Jan 2015

No change here. It keeps on doing what I want to do, quickly and efficiently and in a familiar fashion, and I haven't had any security issues (touch wood). I'm guessing my experience isn't so very different to many other XP users. I'm sure there will come a time when I want to do new/different things that XP won't let me do, but I don't see it near term.

SparkyJack 10:01 12 Jan 2015

XP works fine on my friends machines both of which were Win7 .

As W7 is nearing the end of its days,'dire warnings' will issue forth I am sure about the the consequences of not 'keeping up' It is pure 'Marketing babble'

Some legacy software issues may arise but nothing critical.

But XP lives-in another guise. Download and install Mint17 run it as a 'live' DVD give it a try without altering anything on you PC.

MuDelta 11:34 12 Jan 2015

Ian & Sparky, Thanks for your comments; just as I suspected, further views from other unbelievers would be interesting.

spuds 13:06 12 Jan 2015

At present I have XP and W7 on two machines used daily, and will continue to do so.

XP support hasn't quite stopped, because by special agreements Microsoft are still supporting XP used in hospitals and possibly other authority system, who are also part of that agreement.

SparkyJack 09:39 13 Jan 2015

I believe that some large( corporate?) Users are so 'locked in' to XP that they pay M/S to continue the service.

If so might there not be a 'back/door' access to others,eventually?

wee eddie 11:13 13 Jan 2015

Nothing wrong with XP.

However, it is necessary to understand that it is now a hostage to fortune. In other words, should any Happy Hacker find a gap in XP's defences. MS are no longer providing Fixes.

So: If your XP Machine is not attached to the Net, it can carry on for as long as you wish.

As fewer and fewer XP Machines are connected to the Net, it becomes progressively less and less profitable for a Happy Hacker to spend time looking for an edge. For example: There are so many holes in Linux that it looks more like a colander, but so few people use Linux that no Happy Hacker is going to waste time looking for them.

If your XP Machine is connected to the Net, you need to be ultra careful and have a first class Anti Virus Program running or have a backup Policy that is copper bottomed and be prepared to reformat and replace at the first sign of serious malware.

There's no need to replace your XP machine but that cloud of blissful protection is evaporating fast.

Belatucadrus 22:40 13 Jan 2015

Another suggestion I followed with my XP machine was to disable the aging and unloved Internet Explorer 8 or older, as far as possible and ensure that you use a current generation browser be it Firefox, Chrome, Opera, K-meleon. Whatever you like just so long as the developers are still on it.

Anti Virus has already been mentioned adding a good two way firewall probably worth consideration.

SparkyJack 08:59 14 Jan 2015

WeeEddy is right,compared to Windows,Linux users are rare,therein lies the best defence,couple that to the many and ever changing versions,'happy hackers would be hard put to trap us all.

I have several older machines each running a different Linux O/S, all of which work fine

xania 09:36 14 Jan 2015
Answer

I have just built on a second hand motherboard, a brand new XP system for a client who refuses to ditch XP. All the updates downloaded and installed without a hitch and, with the benefit of a decent (no advertising here) Virus checker annual subscription and at least 3 other nasties checkers, and full backup processes, he has a very happy new system now.

I suspect that there will not be much XP specific attacks nowadays as the writers concentrate on the majority who have moved over to later versions, but you can never be too careful.

So IMHO, not to be recommended, but can be done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?