XP on 4 gig hard drive.

johnny19 22:03 03 Feb 2006

A friend wants to use an old computer just for email and a bit of word processing. It's running Win 98, 128 ram, Pent 11 and a 4 gig hard drive. He ordered BT broadband which won't run on Win 98 only Win98se. I have a spare copy of Win XP and could anyone advise if I could install it for him on a 4 gig h/drive. I know the computer would probably be slow but would it be ok just for email and w/processing.

thanks in advance

johnny19 22:06 03 Feb 2006

I meant to say "which won't run on Win 98 only Win98se or higher"

thanks

DieSse 22:06 03 Feb 2006

I think it'll be the 128K RAM that'll kill it - if all he want's to do is email, why is he getting broadband anyway.

VoG II 22:10 03 Feb 2006

You/he will need 1.5 GB free disk space click here

If you have that it will run, albeit slowly with 128 MB RAM, as DieSse said.

johnny19 22:11 03 Feb 2006

He went and ordered it without asking advice.
So it won,t work, is that right.
thanks

johnny19 22:13 03 Feb 2006

Thank you, I will have to check and see how much free disc space he has. cheers

DieSse 22:52 03 Feb 2006

I'm sure it will actually work - but it'll be sooooo sloooowwww.

Whatever, choose a WP that uses very little system resources (NOT MS Office). Perhaps just stick with Write or try Abiword click here (free).

Some versions of Linux may be more appropriate for a low spec system (and they can be free too). Example click here

ed-0 23:00 03 Feb 2006

It should work on a 4 gig hard drive and with 128Mb of ram. The problem may be the pent 11 cpu.

I have had Xp on a 4.3Gb with 128Mb sdram with a AMD 500Mhz.

johnny19 23:35 03 Feb 2006

Thank you both for your advice.
cheers.

josie mayhem 22:39 04 Feb 2006

It is possible to run xp with just 128mb of memory, I have one computer with this little bit of memory. but it is a P processor and has a 80g hard drive.

I would suggest that your friend either finds a larger hard drive say about 30, 40gb, put this in as a secondary drive, load xp onto the 4g, increase the virtual memory and lower the amount available for restore, when loading xp choose custom install and load only the essential, this will give the best increase of speed possible (but it will still be slow)

One of my P computers runs on only 128mb of memory and a 40g hard drive with out any problems, I just don't do any video editing with this one (takes to long)but for word processing, Internet no problems.

Or, see how much it would cost to buy a P or the fastest possible secondhand base unit from a local computer shop, there some good deals to be had here, that how brought my first computer and then learned to build my own...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?