xlg security centre

aitch2 16:15 05 Aug 2008

Just done a scan with Avast on the laptop and it has picked up the 'XLG (Guarder) Security Centre'
This was completely new to me, so did a search on Google for info. Obviously, a rogue programme and have now printed off the instructions for its removal.via the main computer. However, on the laptop I cannot get beyond the 'Windows welcome screen' to click on my name before the rogue dialog box (entitled System error! Status: Critical) comes up. I cannot access anything. I switched off/ restarted in 'safe mode' but the same thing happens on the 'safe mode' screen. I cannot even access the internet on the laptop to download the 'Malwarebytes' programme that bleepingcomputer.com recommends. Any help or ideas please.
Thanks
Aitch

Ditch999 17:42 05 Aug 2008

What OS is it and do you have the OS disc to do a system restore?

aitch2 19:36 05 Aug 2008

Sorry for the delay in replying, just back from taking my daughter to a party.
Laptop running WinXP-Professional+SP3. Have the disc to do a system restore but cannot get past the 'XLG Security screen' so cannot access the Start menu in normal or safe mode. Laptop is an HP Compag nx9005.Couple of years old but does what it says on the tin.
Aitch

Ditch999 20:01 05 Aug 2008

Try running a System Restore from the XP cd click here

Ditch999 20:05 05 Aug 2008

If that doesn't work you could try a repair of XP but SP3 may be a problem click here

Ditch999 20:18 05 Aug 2008

Or if you can get to Recovery Console command prompt type in %systemroot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

aitch2 16:27 06 Aug 2008

Apologies again for the delay in replying.
Will try the System Restore from the disc. However, not familiar with the recovery console so will try the others first (probably tomorrow) when I have all day free.
Thanks
Aitch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?