The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress
(In Windows Vista):
The solution of the dreaded "Xerces panic errror" is said to be a particular change to the Registry at:
What, however when the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME, folder has disappeared?
If only this were a simple case of reloading a program (in my case, Adobe Elements), but that does not work. (My guess, if the reloading program finds no MIME folder, and where it is supposed to be, it just "pretends" everything is normal and proceeds with the install, saying nothing.) Accordingly, I can't access tons of my work in Adobe.
This happend a long time ago and since which, in the absence of a found solution I have been putting up with it--but now I simply MUST access this data.
Is a Registry restore the answer? Never before have I had to restore a backup of the Registry, and so I have no idea how to do that. I don't even know where the system puts these backups. (Is it the same as System Restore? I've done that before, but my System Restore backups do not go back far enough since something wiped-out all before a certain date.)
What if I was to manually rebuild the
tree and THEN reinstalled Elements? Of course, to do that, I would need a basic model.
Any answer to THIS one out there, folks?
Uh, nope. My problem is that the MIME folder does not exist to BE amended. (I am running as an administrator, btw.) Anyway, thanks for trying.
Does anybody know who these Xerces people are, anyway? I've tried searching for them, to ask them, directly, but they seem to want to remain totally, insidiously, anonymous--a strange position, seeing how their software is embedded within so many other packages.
As to registry restore, if you haven't made one manually, or it's a feature of any registry cleaner you've used then I don't think it exists.
Usual route that I know of to create a backup is run "regedit" then File/Export to create a copy wherever you want. It's an entirely manual procedure.
Thank you, Belatucadrus, for the links.
Unfortunately, they are of no use, in that it such is so indicative of the state of the IT industry. In short, and where and for 99% of users who do not have a degree in IT, the info tells us so much of nothing.
You would think that going direct to the source and typing in thye search box, "Xerces panic errror" it would raise a mountain of results--but not one.
Here's the thing. Owing to this Xerces curse
I can't RUN Adobe Elements.
I can't UNINSTALL Adobe elements. (All I get is the message: "The log file.... is not valid or the data has been corrupted. Uninstallation will not continue.")
I can't (the usual solution to that problem) install a NEW installation of Adobe Elements on top of the old one, thus to remove either one. (Same message).
And I can't remove the dreaded Xerces thing--which I never asked to have on my system in the first place.
I don't even know what an "XML Parser" is.
How do I rid myself of this unmitigated curse?
Or can I?
Is there any way to just go through my system and pick Xerces out of it, bit by bit?
(Unending string of expletives here.....!)
Sorry Sea Urchin, but see above--the bit about the fact that my MIME folder has disappeared!
Apologies - I misread your first post.
"This happend a long time ago and since which, in the absence of a found solution I have been putting up with it--but now I simply MUST access this data".
It's a shame you left it for such a long time because a System Restore would probably have been the answer. It looks as if you have no way of doing that now.
Yeah. It pains me to think that such people as the nitwits that wrote Xerces have such control over our lives. I see now, that Xerces has been bought out or changed their name, or something, to Stylus Studio--whatever that is and whoever they are, and who quite evidently have disowned all the earlier problems caused by Xerces. All they seem to want to do is to sell you their own product.
News. Owing to the good graces of MS Windows Installer Cleaner, I wwas finally able to uninstall (properly) Adobe Elements 2.0. then, at the reinstall, found the MIME folder back in the registry.
That means I can apply the "usual" remedy for the Xerces Panic Error.
The problem remaining is that the remedy, as perSEa Urchin's link, above is the instruction to remove, from
an outlaw entry that does not have an associated "alias".
The problem here is with that word: "an".
My Charset folder, when exported, displays no less than FORTY-FIVE entries without Aliases.
What to do?
Glad to hear you now have your MIME folder back - but not so good that you've found 45 bad keys. I found one other example of this situation, and the person concerned deleted ALL of them and it corrected the problem. One other person suggested deleting the whole of Charset.
I'm not necessarily suggesting you do that, as I don't know what the outcome might be. You could try backing up the registry as described above by Belatucadrus and then playing with that possibility - if it went wrong you could re-import the registry. But it would be at your own risk!
The reason I'm reluctant to suggest this is that your system appears to be working OK apart from this glitch with Adobe Elements, and you might end up with other problems.
One other thing you could try without risk is to run Elements as Administrator - right-click on the desktop icon and Run As..... that has been known to work and override the Xerces Panic error.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.