xerces panic error

GrahameY 09:16 30 Aug 2007

When I try to startr up Adobe premiere elements 2.0 (the slideshow and video editing suite) I get the above message in a message box with the heading "Could not load a transcoding service". I should be grateful for any help.

Phrixos 13:16 11 Jun 2008

Same problem here.

A search advises users to go to
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Charset\] then, evidently depending upon what program is acting up, to delete one or other key.

The common advice says:

"EVERY KEY WITHIN THE CHARSET DIRECTORY MUST CONTAIN ONE (AND ONLY ONE, NEVER BOTH) OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. AliasForCharset
2. CodePage (if the key has a CodePage element then it must also have an 'InternetCoding' element"

--but my directory contains FORTY-FOUR entries with NEITHER 1. nor 2.--and only a few of which are:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\Big5]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\DOS-720]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\DOS-862]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\DOS-874]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\euc-jp]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\euc-kr]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\GB2312]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\hz-gb-2312]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\ibm852]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Charset\ibm866]

That is how they appear. Nothing else. None have a value that anyone lists as the cause (one of which is supposed to be "jqQl... (something)"

QUESTION: these advisers seem to be saying, if by default, that I should DELETE all the keys with no attendant alias or CodePage, such as those above--but that seems a bit drastic. WHAT, if anything, should I do with these 44 entries?

Anyone got an answer?

Phrixos 16:54 13 Jul 2008

The forum indicates that "The author has indicated that this topic is now resolved,.."

It isn't, so if anyone out there has an answer, I remain open to it and would appreciate it.

A further complication, I tried again today to fix the problem, but found that my MIME entry has disappeared! I tried reinstalling Photoshop Elements, but this has has no effect.

Ideas anyone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017