Xcopy /d switch when copying to a network share

Xzrox 10:29 20 Apr 2007

I'm having a bit of an issue with xcopy when using it to copy data to a share on a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device.

Not that I thought it could be a problem, but you'll spot that the interesting point here is that the xcopy can not be run to copy from an external (network) source to an internal hdd; instead it's copying to an external (network) source from an internal hdd.

The issue.... well, the /d switch seems to be totally ignored in the following xcopy:

xcopy e:\www\htdocs\*.* /S /T /E /Y /D /C l:\www\htdocs\*.*

xcopy e:\www\htdocs\*.* /S /Y /D /C l:\www\htdocs\*.*

Where e:\ is a local hdd and l:\ is mapped to a share on the NAS.

Instead of copying to the NAS only those files that have been modified, on every occasion this xcopy command copies everything. I've never experienced this issue when the xcopy command is run to copy from the network to the local hdd.

You'll note that I'm not taking in to account the achive bit here. This is for reasons similar to that explained in an article that'll you'll find if you click here.

Any revelations of similar experiences and workarounds would be much appreciated. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?