xbox live connection

Roy* 20:19 04 Jul 2008

So my son just got xbox 360 and wants to connect to xbox live. From reading the information on xbox.com and the instruction manual it seems the best way is to get a separate modem for the xbox as it’s in a different room to the PC.

So first question:

1) Which modem would you recommend (good value)

It says you’ll need to enter ISP info in the system area, so I hope that’s straightforward our ISP is Plus.net.

Question

2) When he’s on xbox live assuming we get it all working, will it affect the PC’s internet connection (different telephone extension point, same line).

Sorry for such basic questions but I know you guys will cut through all the confusing stuff and tell me the facts, thanks.

FatboySlim71 23:10 04 Jul 2008

"Which modem would you recommend (good value)"

I would say Netgear.

"It says you’ll need to enter ISP info in the system area, so I hope that’s straightforward our ISP is Plus.net."

I know when I set my PS3 up, it was just a matter of connecting the Ethernet cable from the PS3 and into the Modem/router, I basically went into the settings on the PS3, it then detected my connection method etc and that was it.

"When he’s on xbox live assuming we get it all working, will it affect the PC’s internet connection (different telephone extension point, same line)."

You would notice a slight slowdown on both the Xbox and the PC when both were online at the same time, you would notice it more so if you were downloading something, i.e. It would take longer to download, also if you stream video from BBC Iplayer for example you may find that the video playback would be choppy. :-)

Roy* 08:57 07 Jul 2008

So it'll basically work OK just slow both down a bit?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires