xbox 360 networking

h_khabbazan316 21:32 08 May 2009

I have a wireless network in my house. I have the router connected to another pc downstaires and the 360 upstairs along with a pc that connects to the home network wirelessly. Is there anyway of connecting to the pc via a wired connection in the room and then using the pc to connect to the wireless network?

mgmcc 12:21 09 May 2009

I think the answer is probably "yes" but it isn't clear how you're trying to set it all up.

As I read it:

- You have a PC downstairs connected by ethernet to the router.
- You have an Xbox upstairs connected by ethernet to the router.
- You have a second PC (upstairs?/downstairs?) connected wirelessly to the router.

You ask:

Is there anyway of connecting to the pc [which PC?] via a wired connection in the room [which room - upstairs?/downstairs?] and then using the pc [which PC?] to connect to the wireless network?

h_khabbazan316 23:01 09 May 2009

my xbox is upstairs in the same room as my pc.
The pc downstaires is connected to the internet via an ethernet connection.
The pc upstairs connects to the internet via a wireless connection from upstairs.

mgmcc 12:41 10 May 2009

OK, if I've got it right, you want to share the upstairs PC's internet connection with the Xbox.

You need to connect the PC's ethernet port to the Xbox with a *CROSSOVER* ethernet cable and then enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection in the PC. This would normally be the Modem connection but, in your case, it will be the "Wireless Network Connection" on which you enable "Internet Connection Sharing".

Open the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK), right click the "Wireless Network Connection" and select the Advanced tab [XP] or the Sharing tab [Vista]. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

Windows will configure the PC's "Local Area Connection" (the network adapter that connects to your Xbox) with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 - the Xbox's ethernet adapter should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the PC.

As "Internet Connection Sharing" *MUST* use addresses in the 192.168.0.x range, it is important that your router operates in a different Subnet, i.e. the router's own address isn't 192.168.0.1 and it doesn't allocate addresses in the 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254 range. If you do have this conflict, the router needs to be changed to operate in a different Subnet by changing its own IP address to, for example, 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?